Entrepreneurs are distinguished by the following Apollo Profile characteristics:
• Very High Ambition – this reflects the passion and drive they have to succeed in whatever endeavour they believe in.
• High Innovation – Entrepreneurs are innovators and ideas people, and in love with their ideas and their desire to push them forward.
• Low Independence – entrepreneurs see things differently and they are willing to “go alone” independently of rules and barriers if they have to.
• High Persistence/Conscientious – they will not be easily discouraged and will keep going despite obstacles.
Successful entrepreneurs need to be supported in two other personal characteristics:
• They ideally need to be Persuasive to explain their concepts and influence others
• Extraversion so that they can network and enlist support from others.
Our Apollo profiles are based already on a Model of Excellence. That is, we have mapped the qualities of successful people and incorporated those qualities in our 34 scales for success (listed below as requested) . Using the Apollo Profile at Executive level, and looking particularly at the six characteristics outlined above will reveal people with entrepreneurial abilities. The Apollo Profile is a very appropriate tool to identify high performers and entrepreneurs as well as people with potential not immediately engaged in the “entrepreneurial cycle”.
Jim Bowden, the Apollo’s creator has noted that Leadership styles and Social factors and Values do not seem important for determining entrepreneurs. It should be noted too that not all entrepreneurs eventually succeed. Also entrepreneurs may sometimes be going through a stage when they are motivated by some passionate drives. When not so motivated their scores are likely to return to more “normal” ranges. A person may be a strong potential or “sleeper” entrepreneur that needs to be awakened with a special purpose or belief or project.